petak, 29. prosinca 2023.

Ornament Design Challenge (Archimedes)

I guess it's probably too late for the Ornament Design Challenge by @tonycartoonish, but I decided to finish this drawing anyway. I struggled with finding the right inspiration, but this Christmas also happened to be Disney's The Sword in the Stone's 60th anniversary, so I decided to draw something from the movie!



The first thing to do was to watch it again on Disney+, because it's been about 30 years since I last watched it. The idea was to draw Arthur pulling out the sword, but it was Archimedes, "a highly educated owl", who stole the scenes and eventually became the center of this drawing. 😍 I mean, knowing my obsession with owls, it was the obvious choice the moment he appeared in the movie. Plus, taking my other obsession in consideration - my job in education - a drawing of an owl would be a symbolic last drawing for this year.



The movie premiered on December 25 in the US. It's not that much about the titular sword, but about Arthur meeting Merlin. The crucial scenes happen at the very end, but until then it's like a fun fantasy for kids, magic transformations into animals etc. It looks episodic at times and I remembered watching some parts of the movie in cartoon daily shows during the 1980s.



There's also some extra footage from the 1960s on Disney+ about an alternative plot with a darker version of Madam Mim, her raven and the Black Knight, a more Disney-like movie with the formulaic plot and the real villain. It was an interesting idea and I'm glad they saved that glimpse into their brainstorming process and something that could've been.

I also like the 2D animation with textured, seemingly unfinished outlines and colours "bleeding" under them. I tried to mimic that style with a similar pen on CSP, so if you zoom in you can see it's not so "clean" as my previous drawings.

My socials: https://linktr.ee/grdi

#digitaldrawing #theswordinthestone #disney #tc23ornament #ornamentdesignchallenge #grdilicious #grdi

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar