ponedjeljak, 21. studenoga 2022.

The FIFA World Cup 2022

The FIFA World Cup 2022 is here and as you can guess it was the inspiration for this drawing/rant. I'm not planning to write about the controversies that keep piling up, there are way better artworks on this platform that address these current issues. These days it looks like both football and money make the world go round and they go hand in hand perfectly.



I really don't understand all that football craze, although I come from a country where sometimes it seems like it's the only important thing in life. For me it's just noise, crowds and not so occasional violence that's often tolerated or ignored. But what really gets me are the enormous amounts of money invested in organisation, building gigantic arenas and impossibly high payments some of the players get.

I understand the talent part, it's not reserved only for sports after all, but in the end we live in a world where a talented footballer still has more worth than a talented artist. I'm afraid it sends a message that while you can get education, skills and experience, it's not the same as having a desirable ability in an area that brings more money, in this case football. It may be one of the best promoters of our country, but isn't it absurd that our Minister of Education allowed students to leave class and go watch our team's matches during the Cup? 🤯

On the other hand, I've seen how perspective can change - for example, the other day one of my students said it wasn't fair that his brother who works all day on a farm gets paid less than us teachers who "sit five hours a day in warm classrooms and just read lessons from books". 🤔

Of course there are bad teachers - I've met my share during both my own education and my work life. I've been trying to change that kind of students' opinion through hard work - but sometimes it's hard not to feel discouraged when you see that it's possible to earn $128 mil. by chasing a ball. Nobody should be allowed to earn that much (even including politicians or CEOs), but that's obviously not how the system works.

I'm not against the idea that people who can cash in on their talent should be paid accordingly, but hardly anyone complains about them earning millions, while at the same time many complain when other workers go on strike for bigger salaries (which are very far from such big figures).

My social media links: https://linktr.ee/grdi

#digitalart #drawing #worldcup2022 #money #grdilicious #grdi

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar