utorak, 13. studenoga 2018.

Stan Lee (1922-2018)

R.I.P. Stan Lee. 😢 I know social media is going to be overwhelmed by posts like this, so let's try something different - let me share a personal story that is in some ways connected to Stan the Man.


Growing up in Yugoslavia in the 80s I spent my childhood obsessively reading popular comics such as Zagor (my favourite! ❤), Il Grande Blek, Dylan Dog, Martin Mystère, Alan Ford (another favourite!) and other comics by Italian publishers, but we weren't familiar with Marvel and DC comics so much (at least I don't remember ever seeing their comics). The movies changed that, especially The Superman movies with Christopher Reeve which became inevitable around each New Year's Eve. And then Tim Burton's Batman came, so these two became the most popular superheroes of that decade.

But during that time I happened to come across a pack of some foreign chewing gum which came with little pictures of some unknown superheroes. I became obsessed with them and started drawing them and putting on my bedroom wall like posters. In short, they were Marvel's superheroes such as Spider-Man, Captain America, Cyclops and a dozen more. I didn't know anything about them (OK, except for Spider-Man, because somehow he was also gaining more and more popularity at that time), so I created my own stories about their origins or interactions etc.

Only a few years later (or even a whole decade!) did I find out about Stan Lee, his importance, as well as the importance of other illustrators and the whole history behind American comics. And although I like both Marvel and DC, my heart will always start beating a little bit faster when it comes to Marvel, because Superman and Batman were everyone's heroes on the 80's, but nobody knew about Professor X, Spider-Woman or Storm and during that period Marvel's heroes seemed to be only mine and drawing them made my childhood happier.

So, once again, thank you Stan Lee for some of the best childhood memories. Excelsior!

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar